Saturday, December 26, 2009

Maybe I Just Worry Too Much...

I'm kinda having a down day. I almost feel like I felt better a week ago than I have the past few days. I read and participate in a knee replacement support bulletin board, and a lot of people have said they had similar experiences, but it doesn't make me feel much better. People talk about plateaus during the recovery process. Sometimes you feel like you're healing in leaps and bounds, and then other times you feel stagnant. I'm in a stagnant period. Plus my shoulder is still bugging me, which is making me feel worse than I would otherwise.

I am also feeling a bit apprehensive about returning to work. I'm sure a lot of my worries are unfounded, but I'm not sure how to deal with them. I think if I were feeling better, I would be more gung ho about going back. I'm not sure I'll be up to being cane-less. And my stamina and energy are still real low. I'm still having sleeping issues too. I don't go to bed late, but I wake up a few times during the night and have been sleeping til about 9 most mornings. Some people on the message board said not to rush back to work, but I feel guilty already about the time I've been out. I could technically take another week or two if I really needed to. I miss my kids and I miss the people I work with though. I'm torn and I can't figure out what to do.

2 comments:

  1. Tink,
    We (your co-workers and your students) miss you too, but, we will also support you fully if you need more time. I know things have been rough, and holiday time can be stressful, remember we are here for you if you need us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I hit bottom emotionally at about five weeks too. It's completely normal. Knee replacement recovery is brutal. It takes its toll on you both physically and mentally. But just when you think you can't take anymore, things start to get better. You will see.

    As for work, if you're not quite ready, take the extra time off. You'll be no good to your students if you're tired and miserable. Yes, you're feeling guilty about being out, but you should also feel guilty about coming back too soon and not being the great teacher you know you are.

    ReplyDelete